What is Collagen?
- Collagen is the connective tissue making up to 35% of the whole-body’s protein content. It is possible to use collagen derived from cows, horses and pigs as a replacement for connective tissue or volume-loss in a person. Collagen treatments require allergy testing and only last 1-3 months. Dr. Melamed prefers to use Collagen-like (NASHA) products instead.
What are Collagen-Like (NASHA) Products?
- There are several collagen-like products currently available in the United States. Examples are Restylane and Juvederm. These are specific formulations of non-animal sourced hyaluronic acid (NASHA) used in place of collagen. Restylane and Juvederm have both been approved by the FDA for cosmetic injection into facial tissues. Solutions Med Spa uses both Juvederm and Restylane as safe and natural cosmetic dermal filler that restores volume and fullness to the skin to correct moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds, such as nasolabial folds. Hyaluronic acid is a natural substance that already exists in the human body and is used to provide volume and fullness to the skin.
Another treatment choice is Radiesse, which consists of calcium hydroxylapatite microspheres suspended in gel (carboxymethylcellulose). Calcium hydroxylapatite is a normal constituent of bone, and does not require allergy testing. Radiesse is a safe, effective and non-surgical treatment, which provides immediate smoothing out of wrinkles and most scars. Radiesse provides a long lasting correction; however individual results may vary, affected by age, skin type, and lifestyle and muscle activity.
Because of its components and duration, Radiesse is more aptly referred to as an implant rather than filler. It is used for soft tissue augmentation in the correction of deep facial folds and creases and restoration of volume loss in hollow facial areas. The tiny microspheres provide scaffolding into which the bodies own tissue can grow and increase the volume. Radiesse has proven to be a very versatile facial contouring product and has demonstrated durable augmentation in areas such as chin and cheek where a larger volume is required. It maintains a soft, natural feel and takes on the characteristics of the surrounding skin tissue.
How long will my treatments last?
- Restylane and Juvederm treatment will last between 6-12 months, depending on the treatment areas. Lips enhancement will generally last 6 months, while mid-face contouring will last longer or up to 12 months. Radiesse can provide even longer lasting correction of up to 18 months; however individual results may vary, affected by age, skin type, and lifestyle and muscle activity.
Are there precautions after my treatment?
- Yes. During the first 48 hours after your treatment, do not massage or rub the treated area (unless directed by Dr. Melamed). If you have had a lip enhancement, avoid puckering your lips for the first two days after the treatment. Until the initial swelling and redness have resolved, do not expose the treated area to intense heat (e.g. in a sauna or by sunbathing) or extreme cold.
What should I do prior to the treatments?
- Avoid taking aspirin, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications, St. John's Wort and high doses of Vitamin E supplements one week prior to procedure. This will help minimize any bruising or bleeding at the infection site.
What other treatments are typically used along with Restylane or Juvederm?
- Quite frequently our patients will have Botox or Dysport injections to soften the dynamic wrinkles caused by movement such as frowning or squinting or lip pursing. Using both products simultaneously results in a smooth, relaxed and younger appearance.